Handmade Book Thongs
These simple instructions for making your own book thongs come from my good friend, Lena Austin.
Please remember simple safety rules such as keeping small objects from children and keeping a lit candle on a flat surface away from flamable materials.
A handmade version is easy to make. This thong is a loop of elastic thread with some large beads and/or charms. Here's the instructions:
1) Purchase from any craft store:
1 large spool of elastic thread (your choice on colors)
Several packets of beads and charms appropriate to the books
2) Set up the beads in individual bowls or coffee cups. Set a lit candle aside.
3) Measure about 12" of elastic thread, and cut as many as you need ahead of time.
4) String a few beads and/or charms on a thread in a pleasing pattern. Tie both ends together, and use the strongest knot you can.
5) Burn the knot until it melts and fuses. Be careful! It's hot and melted. You can get burned easily.
6) Allow all the thongs to cool. Bag them in individual ziploc bags with your business card inside.
Alternate: If you remember the child's toy Shrinky Dinks, those shrinkable plastic sheets are still available. You could write your name and website, shrink 'em, and have very unique charms for your thongs.
I've been making book thongs for years. The loop version slips over the book to mark the page, but doesn't fall out.